Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Friendship Curve

‘Good friends we have, oh, good friends we’ve lost
Along the way.
In this great future, you cant forget your past;
So dry your tears, I seh.’

Bob Marley

Somehow these lines seem to capture my experience with friends and friendship. Two of the most astonishing words I have ever come across other than love, hatred and life itself.
I hardly have a present friend whom I have known since kidhood days. Infact most of my current friends are people whom I have known hardly for a year.
At times I feel I am a loner. But yet strangely I have never been without friends. I have always had a steady supply of wonderful friends, people whom I have known for a short period of time, been great friends with, spent a hell of a time together and then lost, at times forever.
I am full of memories of such people. It’s not everything that I remember, but just some faces like old snapshots and the moments between them.

And now when I recall our times together they all seem to be following a similar curve, a curve which reflects the intensity of our friendship.
Its kind of a bell-shaped curve with varying degree of slopes on its either arms and most often than not is skewed on one side.


Why I lost them? Why they lost me? Why did we become so dear friends in the first place? Will I ever get to relive those happy days again? What if we would still be friends? Would that fire of friendship still be burning inside us if things wouldn’t have gone the way they went?

Well life can be full of questions if we keep asking them.
Or else we can just lay back and reminisce about the small little laughter’s we had and let them be sweet memory files.
After all why do we even expect that friendship or any relationship would stay on for ever?
It’s not how much area we cover under the friendship curve but rather the heights which we achieve with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent thoughts bro....u'hv got dense approach to think abt nything...gdluck!


--Poonam

Anonymous said...

excellent thoughts bro....u'hv got dense approach to think abt nything...gdluck!


--Poonam